Most people have termed lust to only mean sex and its desires. Although it is part of it, yet, there is more to it than sexual lust. And every one of them has the same root. Because of this, on this page, we’ll be looking at the root spirit of lust and how to break the stronghold of lust.
What is the root spirit of lust?
Lust just as mentioned in the introductory part does not only denote feelings or strong desires propelled by sexual arousal, it talks largely about desires or longing that are not Godly. You can lust after or yearn for just about anything; wealth, possessions, items, and, of course, other individuals.
Let’s see what the Bible says about it in James 1: 14-15, but every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his lust, and enticed. Then when lust has developed, it brings forth sin: and sin, when it is finalized, brings forth death.
James here was trying to explain to his audience at that time the nature of God, how God is incapable of tempting or being tempted by evil. He doesn’t instigate evil, nor is He the source of temptation. However, he said, a man is tempted by his desires and thoughts which drag them into evil and lure them away into darkness. And as a result of that evil desire, it gives birth to evil actions.
So, we can see clearly that the root or source of the operation of lust (which is the craving, longing, or desire for what is forbidden) is human desire.
How to pray for deliverance from Lust
Although exhibiting lustful desires can be inevitable, however, God in His Supremacy, when he created man gave us the power to make choices and decide on those choices. So, it is possible to live your life lust-free. You can decide not to fall victim to evil thoughts, desires, and actions. Here, we’ll be looking at how to get delivered from lust.
- Distinguish yourself from people, things, and situations that can stir up those lustful desires in you.
- Reach out to people to help you.
- Permit the Holy Spirit to operate on you through prayers
- Cultivate a habit of self-discipline to eradicate harmful impacts.
- Renew your mind every time with the word of God (Romans 12: 2)
- Build an atmosphere of people who do and say positive and Godly things always.
- Be led by the Spirit of God, and always yield yourself to Him. (Romans 8:14)
Prayers for deliverance from lust
Here are three (3) simple, yet powerful, prayers you can pray to war against lust.
- Oh Lord, my God, I come before your presence today, seeking your support in combating evil enticements. Please cleanse my mind of all lustful desires and make me whole. Deliver me from the evil one. Keep me safe from his deceptive lies.
- Lord, I am your temple, your spirit dwells within me. Help me to live righteously, in holiness and all pureness. Help me not to be destroyed by lustful feelings. Allow my mind to be concentrated on praising and worshiping you alone.
- Thank you, Father, for you have given your son to die for my sins and also to destroy the works and power of the devil. I am no longer in the bondage of sin and lust. I am free because Jesus Christ has set me free. Amen!
Psalms for deliverance from lust
Here are four (4) Psalms you can read for deliverance from lust.
- Psalms 103
- Psalms 51
- Psalms 22
- Psalms 119: 11
Fasting plan for deliverance from lust
Fasting has its way of killing and putting your flesh under control. It is a great way to develop a spiritual discipline to the end that you are consecrated towards God. Fasting is the self-denial of things you can’t do without.
Fasting is most commonly the abstinence from food for a while. Although it can be very hard, nevertheless, it is a way of telling God that you indeed considered the issue as a serious and urgent one, and you need God to intervene.
To help you get started with it, this five (5) practical reference fasting plan for deliverance from lust, will help you focus on the Lord and do things more spiritually. I encourage you to follow it strictly for effective results.
- Understand your objectives for fasting. When you know why you are fasting, which is for deliverance from lust, it’ll help you keep focusing and channel the right prayers to God.
- Set up a commitment structure. Decide how long the fast will be lasting for and the times you’ll be observing it.
- Prepare yourself both physically and spiritually. Ensure you are in good health before you commence your fast. Furthermore, ask God to direct you as you fast and pray within those selected days.
- Set time apart to fellowship. The essence of your fasting is for God to intervene and deliver you from the bondage of lust. Therefore, you must give quality time to be alone with God, to listen to His leading and corrections. A time when you can focus on God’s word to read and meditate on it.
- Be Expectant. Don’t just see fasting as a normal routine, see it as a way to provoke God to step in into your matter and free you. Except to see the result of your fasting and prayers. Don’t just fast once and expect a cure-all answer. Be intentional about seeking God’s face during this period, humble yourself before Him, and He’ll show up.
Scriptures to pray against lust
Here are 8 useful Bible verses to help you prat against lust, and they are;
- 1 Corinthians 6:15–20
- Colossians 3:5.
- Job 31:1l
- Matthew 5:27–30
- 1 Thessalonians 4:3–5
- 1 John 2: 16
- James 1:14–15
- Galatians 5: 16
When your desires are corrupt, the outcome of it will be to produce corruption. Hence, you need to pay attention to things you desire and long for, if they are in line with God’s Will and plan for your life. Don’t be fooled by your desires!