Are you struggling with intense and persistent desires that you know are not good for you? You may be experiencing the effects of the spirit of lust. Prayer is a powerful tool that we can use to break any chain in our lives, including the spirit of lust. This blog post will offer prayer tips to help break this bondage and set you free.
13 Prayer points to break the spirit of lust
Here are some simple prayers you should pray to break the strongholds of lust in your life or in the life of anyone you know.
- Oh Lord, arise in your power and consume by fire every power sponsoring lust into my life in Jesus’s Name.
- Lord, protect me from the allure of sin in Christ’s name.
- Please, Lord, keep me away from the evil, tempting words of lust that are spoken into my life and destiny.
- Oh father, please purify me of all carnal cravings in Jesus’ name, amen.
- Dear Lord, please alter my thoughts and give me a fresh mind in Jesus’ name.
- Lord, protect me from lusting after things beyond what you have provided.
- Lord, I pray that every demon and evil spirit attempting to incite lust in my life will be exposed and humiliated in Jesus’ name.
- My Father, I resolve to make my body the temple of the Holy Spirit and to keep it pure in Jesus’ name.
- Dear Lord, please subdue every lustful demon obstructing my spiritual growth and future in Jesus’ name.
- Lord, please destroy and consume all the sinful garments laid upon me, my life, and my future in Jesus’ name.
- In Jesus’ name, destroy every lust-filled ancestral spirit seeking to consume my life and destiny.
- Lord, grant me the awareness to recognize the allurements of lust before I tumble and the intelligence to avoid them in Jesus’ name.
- Oh Lord, please reveal and disgrace everyone who plots my demise through lust and seduction, in Jesus’ name.
What Causes Lust?
Lust is a desire for anything other than God — sex, wealth, power, or anything else. It’s a fruit of the flesh that can cause a person to do all abominable things, including adultery and fornication. It’s an unruly and disobedient attitude towards anything that isn’t God and can keep you from serving Him.
Throughout history, lust has been a part of human life. God provided Adam and Eve with food, companionship, and protection when the world was created. However, one thing was withheld from them to prove his love for Him – the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. (Gen. 2:16-17).
In the Garden of Eden, Satan enticed Eve by claiming that God was keeping something wonderful from them. Because of their lust, they ate the fruit, subjecting all of humanity to God’s wrath. (Gen. 3:6, 16-19).
Lust comes from the devil, who has power over this world. The devil tries to make people commit sins by giving them evil thoughts, just like he gave Jesus Christ an evil thought in the desert (Matthew 4:1-11). Lust is so powerful that it can cause a man to leave his wife and children and run after another woman.
What are the signs of lust?
The Bible says that all people are tempted by lust (James 1:14-16).
Lust is not just sexual lust. It’s the desire to do something that is not good for you; we all have a desire for things we shouldn’t have. When we’re tempted by lust, we act in ways that are contrary to our true desires. There are many signs of lust. If your desires conflict with what your Bible says, then it’s probably a sign of lust!
Here are some other signs
- You feel like you need something more than God in your life or something is missing from your life. Your list of needs may include money, sex, power, etc.
- Your eyes will wander, and you will look at women/men passionately with the intent to sleep with them.
- You’ll start becoming covetous.
- Spending time planning on how to get the things you lust after.
Bible Verses about lust.
- Matthew 5:28
- Proverbs 6:25
- James 1:14-15
- 1 John 2:16
- Gal. 5:16
- Romans 7:7
- 1 Tim. 6:9
Is Lust A Sin According To The Bible?
In Matthew 5:27-28, Jesus Christ said: “You have heard that it was said, ‘Do not commit adultery.’ But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.” It suffices to say that lust is a sin. Therefore we must always guard ourselves against it.
How To Break The Stronghold of Lust
Here’s what I think you should do if you want to break the stronghold of lust in your life.
1. Determine (Purpose) in your heart to stop lusting.
In Daniel 1:8, the bible clearly points out that Daniel made a decision in his heart not to defile himself. This is the first step towards ending the hold of lust over your life. Make a decision and then pray and ask God to help you to deal with the urge. Zech 4:6 makes it clear that it’s not by our power nor by our might, but by the spirit of God.
If you have a lustful thought, you should not dwell on it or let it become a habit. Instead, you must immediately reject the thought, and turn your attention to something uplifting and positive. Through the power and grace of God, you can resist temptation and overcome lustful thoughts.
2. Be ready to fight to finish.
In 1 Corinthians 10:13-14, Paul wrote that God always provides a way out for us when we are tempted. Once you have determined in your heart to stop lusting after people, be ready to fight the challenge till the end. Be willing to trust the exit that God has provided for you. As a pastor, I’ve heard some people say that when they’re engulfed by a lustful thought, another thought also comes in to counter the lustful thought.
The other thought may be a song or a thought to go and do something. You must be ready to fight the lustful thoughts using the word of God, psalms, hymns, etc.
Let me pray for you – Dear God, I come to you in the name of Jesus on behalf of the person reading this prayer. I decree over you in the name of Jesus, every hold of lust is broken. Every chain and link that causes them to lust is broken in Jesus’ name. Thank you, God. Amen.