When Paul said in 2 Corinthians 10:4 that our weapons of warfare are not carnal, he had spiritual battles in mind. The amount of spiritual battles a Christian faces is twice that of an unbeliever. In this article, I’d like to share a simple guide on how to pray for someone under spiritual attack.
How To Pray When Under Spiritual Attack
Prayer is the first thing to do when you’re facing spiritual attacks. And in this section, I’ll show you how to pray when you’re under a spiritual attack or praying for someone under a spiritual attack. One bible verse that summarizes this step is James 4:7.
- Thank God for keeping you/the person you’re praying for up to that moment.
- Equip yourself with the whole armor of God. (Eph. 6:12-18)
- Ask the Holy Spirit to reveal to you what spirit is causing the attack and the best way to deal with it. This is important because some spiritual attacks may not require rebuking the spirit, but instead, performing a physical action that will set the person free from the attack. A typical example is when Jesus took a blind man out of the town in Mark 8:22-26. It’s possible that the source of the man’s attack was within the town; hence, Jesus separated it from him completely. Jesus could have rebuked the spirit, but He chose a better option.
- Pray and rebuke the spirit attacking the person (or you). Don’t complain about the storm; rebuke the wind that causes the storm. (Mark 4:39).
- Quote relevant scriptures if necessary.
- Praise God for his wonderful works of bringing down the powers of darkness.
What’s The Meaning Of Spiritual Warfare?
In simple terms, spiritual warfare refers to the constant battle between the powers of darkness and a Christian. Ephesians 6:12 describes the spiritual warfare that we fight against the devil and his cohorts prowling about seeking for who they’ll devour (2 Cor 10:3-5).
Spiritual warfare never ends but with each battle, we gain experience and ranks in the spirit that certain powers and demons can’t attack us anymore. After all, we’re soldiers of Christ (2 Tim 2:1).
What Does Spiritual Warfare Look Like?
There’s no clear-cut image of what spiritual warfare looks like, but we can liken it to a physical battle where a person is attacked from all sides by different enemies.
When you notice the devil is attacking you from multiple angles, i.e., maritally, financially, job-wise, your children, health-wise, etc., it indicates that something is wrong spiritually, and you need to tackle it. However, these attacks may not always occur at once.
The devil will attack anything that gives you happiness, so you can blame God, get angry at him, fall into despair and lamentation, and open the door for more attacks.
The moment you become a Christian and believer, you leave the devil’s camp into the camp of light. The opposing camp of darkness will see you as a traitor who has left with their secrets and will start to use all the weapons at their disposal to attack you.
Little wonder Jesus said in John 10:10 that the enemy came to kill, steal, and destroy.
How Do You Know When Someone Is Under Spiritual Attack?
Before you pray for someone, you should identify if they’re under spiritual attack. There are a few signs that can show you a person is under spiritual attack.
1. Their faith and prayer life have been destroyed.
A Christian’s faith and prayer life are always the first points of attack. This attack often starts from closing their spiritual eyes, thus limiting their ability to have dreams and visions. Even when they have dreams, they can’t comprehend them.
After successfully dealing with the spiritual eyes, the next stop is their prayer life. Because they understand the importance of prayer, the devil attacks it next, destroying the communication link between you and God so that you can stand alone in the battle.
Instead of praying, you’re complaining. Instead of studying the word (the sword of the spirit), you’re chatting away your time on social media or doing something else.
These attacks weaken a person’s spiritual defenses and ultimately leads to destruction.
2. Having multiple challenges.
As I mentioned earlier, experiencing multiple challenges can show that a person has a spiritual attack. You can be dealing with health challenges, financial challenges, and marital challenges all at the same time. Confusion will set in, and you’ll not be able to fight any of these battles squarely.
3. Undefined medical challenges.
Sometimes, you’ll have experiences where there’s no medical explanation possible for a certain health condition you may be having. Scans and tests will either show different things or that you’re okay, even though you’re not. When such is the case, you should brace up for spiritual battles ahead.
4. Feelings of fear, despair, and anxiety.
When these feelings begin to overwhelm you, there’s a high likelihood that you’re under spiritual attack. Physical events will trigger these feelings and put you in fear, desperation, and confusion. You’re left anxious and in despair – be strong and courageous, for God is with you.
5. Disdain for God
When you start becoming displeased with God, you’re under spiritual attack. This phase is the weary phase of a spiritual attack whose ultimate goal is to disconnect you from God completely. In this phase, you’ll probably lean more towards a sinful life, in direct disobedience to God, who encourages us to abstain from sin.
What Is The Source Of Spiritual Attacks?
Spiritual attacks come from one source – the devil. In John 10:10, Jesus points out the attack plans of the devil. The devil may not appear physically to attack you, but he’ll get you by attacking the things and people that matter to you.
Witchcraft altars and covens are also a source of spiritual attacks. When your lifestyle as a Christian displeases them, you become a target. Therefore, pray without ceasing.
Unnecessary entanglements (e.g., sexual entanglements) can open a door for spiritual attacks on your life. No wonder the bible says that no soldier that warreth entangles himself with the affairs of this life (2 Tim 2:4).
What does the bible say about spiritual warfare?
Here are some bible verses about spiritual warfare.
- Ephesians 6:12
- James 4:7
- 1 Peter 5:8
- 2 Corinthians 10:3-5
- Luke 10:19
- Deuteronomy 28:7
- Isaiah 54:17
- 2 Thessalonians 3:3
- Romans 8:37-39
- Colossians 1:13-14
Prayer Against Spiritual Attack
Here are some spiritual warfare prayer points you can pray for.
- Precious father, I praise and thank you for your protection against all enemy attacks.
- In Jesus’ name, I bind and rebuke all demonic spirits attacking my mind, body, and soul.
- Dear God, I request your protection over my home, family, and property from all forms of spiritual attack.
- In Jesus’ name, I pray for the deliverance of anyone currently under attack from demonic spirits.
- Oh God, please reveal any hidden sins that may have opened the door to a spiritual attack in my life.
- Marvelous God, I thank you for your deliverance and protection from all forms of spiritual attack.
- Every spirit assigned to attack me, be destroyed in Jesus’ name.
- All witchcraft gatherings against my life scatter in the name of Jesus.
- You can pray other prayer points as the Holy Spirit leads you.
I hope this article has helped you better understand how to pray for yourself or someone under spiritual attack. Remember, the most important thing is to have faith and trust that God will answer your prayers.