If you’ve ever felt stuck in a cycle of defeat, disappointment, and despair, and everyone else in your family experiences the same, you may be under the influence of a generational curse. In this power-packed article, you’ll learn how to break generational curses. It also includes some important prayer points you don’t want to miss.
When you do, you’ll start experiencing God’s blessings in your life.
What is a Generational Curse?
A generational curse is a negative pattern passed down from generation to generation. This can happen in families, businesses, churches, and even communities. Generational curses can also be called generational cycles.
For example, if a family has a history of alcoholism, that may be considered a generational curse. Or, if a business has been in decline for several generations, that could indicate a generational curse.
In the bible, a typical example of a generational curse is found with the people of Canaan. In Gen. 9:22-26, Ham, the father of Canaan, saw his father’s nakedness and attracted a curse upon his child Canaan, and this curse stuck to Canaan for generations, even till the time of Jesus (Matt. 15:22-28).
How do we break Generational curses and spiritual holds?
- Surrender to God wholeheartedly. One of the first things to do to be able to break generational curses is to surrender to God with all your heart. You can only do this by accepting the Lord Jesus to be your personal Lord and savior. This step positions you and opens the access door to call upon God and receive revelations. (Jer. 33:3)
- Ask for forgiveness. God is a merciful God and will listen to your cry of forgiveness for yourself or your family. Ask God for forgiveness wholeheartedly.
- Identify which curses affect you. Hosea 4:6 talks about knowledge. Find out what patterns are in your family and then start the process of breaking the curse.
- Fulfill any pending vows. This next step is important. You can break some generational curses with prayers while there are some others that require more than prayers. These other curses also require prayers and the settling of vows. This is where spiritual works come into the picture.
- Seek help. There are pastors whose calling includes being able to perform spiritual works. But you MUST do THIS ACCORDING TO THE INSTRUCTIONS & GUIDANCE OF THE HOLY SPIRIT. You may not be free from the curse if you do otherwise.
How are generational curses passed down?
Where do generational curses come from? They come from different sources, but the most common is through the ones listed below.
- Bloodlines. This means that the curse is passed down from parents to their children.
- Words. It can also be passed down through words, either by parents or others.
- Actions. Curses can be passed down through actions, such as when someone breaks a promise/vow or commits an offense.
How do generational curses work?
Generational curses often work by holding people back from achieving their full potential. They can create obstacles and roadblocks that make it difficult for the person under the curse to succeed.
Interestingly, generational curses may, in some cases, target specific areas of an individual’s life. For instance, someone may have financial stability but be under the curse of marital instability.
Another may have marital stability but may be under the curse of untimely death, failure in business/career, and even childlessness.
Signs of Generational Curses
Someone asked me, “how do I know if something is a generation curse”? I’ve outlined some of the signs that can indicate that you are experiencing a generational curse.
Note: From my perspective, the critical indicator that you’re under a generational curse is if people around you (family members) have the same experience. While many may argue that it’s not always the case – which is valid to an extent – it serves as a definite pointer that an individual is under a generational curse.
Again, I’ll refer to the Canaanites in the bible – all of them were under the generation curse placed upon them by their forefather.
The following are other signs of being under a generational curse.
Many people work hard to make it in life, but their efforts seem to be in vain. If you fall into this category of people experiencing stagnation, you may be under a generational curse.
Instability in different areas of your life can indicate the yoke of a generational curse. It could be instability in marriage, finances, and relationships. From one divorce to another, one failed business to another, and disappointments here and there when you’re ready to settle down.
Couples who experience barrenness and fertility problems but have been certified medically okay may be under the curse of barrenness. And if that curse isn’t broken, conception may be complex for them.
- No ambition, vision, or direction
- Bondage and slavery
If there’s a generational curse of untimely death upon a family and it’s not dealt with, any family member that gets to a certain age will die. When you notice that people in a family do not live above a certain age, it signifies a generational curse of untimely death.
5 Types of Generational Curses
- Cursed by God. Generational curses can come from God. This occurs as a result of disobedience to God’s instructions. Prov. 3:33 sheds more light on this.
- Cursed by man. Your actions towards a person can make them curse you. This is why it’s important to be careful in your dealings with people. A typical example is found in Gen. 9:25.
- A curse from breaking vows & promises. If your grandfathers (ancestors) entered an agreement with certain altars and spirits for powers, wealth, children, etc., and you fail to keep to the promise your grandfathers made on your behalf, you automatically attract a curse upon yourself.
- The Curse of Idolatry. Most people attract curses through idol worship. It’ll interest you that anything you adore more than God becomes an idol to you. It could be money, children, career, material possessions, etc. Gen. 23:49 sheds more light on it.
- Self-Inflicted Curses. These curses can come from our actions, knowingly or unknowingly. A typical example is generational curses that are activated by sexual encounters of unmarried people.
Why are Generational Curses so Hard to Break?
- Wrong Teachings: There are a lot of people who don’t believe that generational curses exist. This belief stems from the fact that they’ve been taught by other people who belong to the same school of thought.
- No guide: To break a spiritual curse, you need a guide. The Holy Spirit is our guide as Christians, but unfortunately, how many of us can boldly beat our chest and say that the Holy Spirit is leading us? With the direction of the Holy Spirit, who has been in the world before it began, we can break generational curses.
Scriptures about breaking Generational Curses
Here are some bible verses about breaking generational curses
- Exodus 20:5
- Genesis 12:3
- Isaiah 10:27
- Genesis 27:40
- Leviticus 26:40
- Galatians 3:13
Prayers to Break Generational Curses
- What prayers can I pray to break generational curses? Take a look at these prayer points.
- Oh God, separate me from the idols of my father’s/mothers house that affect my life.
- Merciful Father, separate me from every generational curse in my family affecting me.
- I receive grace to break free from limitations that affect my family.
- In the name of Jesus, I break free from every family circle that affects my family.
- Every curse of old that is at work over my life, I separate myself in the name of Jesus.
Psalms To Break Generational Curses
- Psalm 121
- Psalm 46:1
- Psalm 51:9-11
- Psalm 118:17
- Psalm 34:19
I’ll leave you with the words of Paul in the book of Ephesians – Be strong in the Lord and in the power of his might. There’s nothing too hard for God to break – not even an ancient generational curse is too difficult for the Ancient of Days to break.
May the curses over your life be broken in the name of Jesus, Amen.